We thought this was ironic. While news came out that Evercore has been hired to advise on the restructuring of the United States Postal Service – which is forecasted to lose $14.1bn for the 2012 fiscal year – Cuba has already begun restructuring their own postal services. Here are the main points from the business paper Opciones:
- The post office is going to be converted into a business group
- The post office will consist of 18 territories
- Each local division will be granted more autonomy
- Mechanization, automation, and information systems will be introduced
- The post office currently has 13,600 workers, 1,015 offices, 16 processing centers, and 54 distribution centers. No word on final layoff numbers.
Featured Photo Credit: ©iStockphoto.com/andrearoad